Strawberry Shortcake is always a great dessert for the summer. It’s so light and it puts fresh fruits like strawberries in the spotlight. I decided to make individual portions so I baked the cake in a muffin pan. Turned out great 🙂
Course: Dessert Yield: 12 servings Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 25 mins
- 3/4 Cup of unsalted butter
- 3/4 Cup of water
- 2 Cup of all purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 Cup of sugar + 4 tablespoons for the coulis
- 2 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup of full fat sour cream
- 1 Cup of heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon of icing sugar
- 2 1/2 Cup of frozen raspberries
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon of lemon juice
- mint for garnish
- Cake: With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a 30 x 43-cm (12 x 17-inch) baking sheet with parchment paper, allowing the paper to overhang 2 opposite sides. Butter the paper. (If you want individual little cakes like the one shown on the picture above, pour cake batter in a silicone muffin pan).
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter in the water. Let cool partially.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar and 1 tablespoon of vanilla using an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and falls from the beaters in ribbons. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients, alternating with the butter mixture and the sour cream.
- Spread the batter evenly over the baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool partially.
- Remove the cake from the pan but keep the paper on to help keep the cake moist. Let cool on a rack.
- Trim the edges of the cake to straighten them. Cut into 2 rectangles 30 cm (12 inches) on their longest side.
- Whipped cream: Pour 1 cup of heavy cream, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (or hazelnut extract) and 1 tablespoon of icing sugar in a stand mixer. Whip on high speed until the whisk makes a stiff peak with the whipped cream.
- Raspberry coulis: Take 2 1/2 cups of frozen raspberries and thaw them. Once they are thawed, add 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice. Mash everything together and puree in a food processor.
- Strain the puree by pushing it through a fine sieve. Discard the leftover puree and seeds.
- Assembly: Make the layers starting with the first cake layer, whipped cream,strawberries,whipped cream and the second layer of cake,etc.