Meringues are so versatile.
You can add pretty much any flavour to them and they will still be delicious.
My personal favourite is Pavlova. But what about a cute snack size meringue?
Dipped in a bit of coffee in a cold afternoon?
When making meringues, you have to be extremely patient. I really mean it. It takes about 1.5 hour to bake but then you have to leave them in the oven for about 2 hours, for them to cool off slowly, to make sure they do not crack.
So next time you don’t have to go out for about 4 hours, make some of these delicious treats!
Enjoy my lovelies!
AlexRecipe inspired from: http://www.joyofbaking.com/MeringueCookies.html
Course: Dessert Yield: 40 servings Prep Time: 40 mins Cook Time: 60 mins
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 Cup of superfine sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of instant coffee
- 1/2 Tablespoon of warm water
- 1/4 Teaspoon of cream of tartar
- chocolate to drizzle and chopped hazelnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200F and place rack in the center of your oven/
- Prep a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it.
- Mix warm water with instant coffee and set aside.
- Prep a piping bag so you can fill it withy our meringue to pipe on the parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites of med-low until they are foamy. Sprinkle the cream of tartar and continue until you get a soft peak. Slowly add the sugar in, a bit at a time and continue but this time in med-high until you get a stiff peak.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on low-medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks. Add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat, on medium-high speed, until the meringue holds very stiff peaks and a glossy texture. Beat in the coffee.
- Pipe the meringue onto the parchment paper (about 2 inches wide).
- Bake for an hour and a half. They are done when they are pale and crisp.
- When done, turn oven off, open a tiny crack in your oven and let the meringues cool for about 2 hours.
- Drizzle chocolate on them and sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on them for presentation.
- Cover and store at room temp for about a week.