Waffles Waffles Waffles!!!!!
So I had way toooo much caffeine this morning. And ate a few (4) waffles.
With whipped mascarpone and greek yogurt and cinnamon.
Oh and Maple Cherry compote.
You know when you start eating the corner of one, then continue on eating the whole contour, then you just finish it and you deny the fact that you just ate an extra waffle?
Yeah… I did that twice.
I’m going to go ahead and lie down until my food coma has passed.
P.S – These waffles were out of this world and super healthy.
Go make some and be merry (with your food coma or food baby, whatever you feel comfortable calling it)
Today, i’m calling it a food coma.
Ciao my lovelies!
xoxWaffle Recipe inspired from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-grain-waffles/
Course: Breakfast Yield: 6 servings Prep Time: 25 mins Cook Time: 30 mins
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 Cup of milk
- 1/4 Cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 Cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 Cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 Cup of whole grain flour
- 1/2 Cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 Cup of wheat germ
- 4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Cup of mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 Cup of greek yogurt (vanilla flavoured is great)
- 1 Teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 3 Cup of frozen cherries
- 1/2 Cup of maple syrup
- Start by making the cherry compote. In a medium pot, heat up the cherries and maple syrup. Stir frequently, reduce heat and let simmer until the liquid has reduced to a compote style thickness. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, mix eggs, milk, vanilla extract,honey and coconut oil (make sure you add the coconut oil just before you are ready to mix in the dry ingredients with the wet ones because it will harden quickly.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flours, flax meal, wheat germ and baking powder.
- With your stand mixer on low speed, starting mixing the dry ingredient in with the wet ones. When the ingredients are fully mixed, stop the mixer and put batter aside.
- Start you waffle maker and wait for it to be ready. Spray with olive oil or use coconut oil. Drop about 1/3 cup in the middle of the waffle maker and cook to your preferred setting (ours is 3 on our Cuisinart waffle maker).
- Once your are done making your waffles, prep the whipped mascarpone.
- In a medium bowl, place mascarpone, greek yogurt and cinnamon. Start on low speed and increaser speed once everything is well mixed. Whip it up on high speed for about 15 seconds and serve on top of waffles with cherry compote.