Have you ever been to Italy?
The first time I went to Europe was when I was 20 (if I remember correctly). I went with my father because he was going on a business trip and he decided to bring me along. We went to Paris, Belgium and Germany but what my dad didn’t tell me is that as a surprise, we were also going to VENISE, ITALY!
When I was a kid, every presentation I had to do at school, I would make it so it would be about Venise and how it might eventually go under water. I was so scared that it would happen before I would get to see it!
Anyways, my trip to Venise was amazing! The weather was fantastic and so was the food!! We found this cute restaurant on the side of the water (the patio is actually on a floating dock) and the service was great! We spent an afternoon there and it was just like time stopped. I don’t remember the name of the place but when Karl and I go back (Probably this summer), I will look for the restaurant and write a post about it!
That’s my Dad in Venise
Now you must be wondering why I am talking about Venise! Well, they say that Tiramisu was “invented” in Treviso, a small city about an hour from Venise and since I have only been to Treviso to take a plane, I thought: Venise!!!
The year after, Steph and I decided to go on a “backpacking” trip to Europe for a month or so. Since Venise was not under water yet, we decided to go!
You know what I am realizing right now? I have almost no pictures of me in my Europe trip!
This picture was taken on the Murano island. Don’t ask me where in specific, I have not idea since I took it when we got lost on the island! What? Me getting lost? No way! I have a great sense of direction…
FACT: Steph drunk on Sangria (Sangria in Sicily is red wine mixed with triple sec and vodka, just saying!) has a way better sense of direction then I do… I am not proud of this…but I have other talents…right?
We went to other beautiful cities and I could go on for hours but it’s Sunday! Go make some Tiramisu and day dream about Italy! 🙂
Alex -xo-Recipe from: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8677/tiramisu
Course: Dessert Yield: 8 servings Prep Time: 30 mins
- 2 Cup of strong coffee
- 1/2 Cup of marsala wine (not an obligation)
- 3 large pasteurized eggs, separated
- 1/3 Cup of superfine (caster) sugar
- 250 Gram of mascarpone cheese
- 300 Milliliter of thickened cream, lightly whipped
- 2 to 3 pack of lady (sponge) fingers (Savoiardi)
- 1/2 Cup (about) of cocoa for dusting (and in between layers)
- Pour coffee and marsala in a dish and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl with electric beaters until pale and thick. Add the mascarpone and whipped cream, mixing gently until just combined. Don't over mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites in a medium bowl with electric beaters until soft peaks form. With a large spatula, gently fold egg whites into the mascarpone mixture.
- Take an 8inch square shallow serving dish and one by one, dip the cookies in the coffee mixture and place at the bottom of the serving dish. Cover the biscuits with 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture.Powder with cocoa powder. Repeat layers 2 times, ending with the cream. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Dust generously with cocoa and serve.