I have an obsession.
I’m sure Karl would hurry to say that I have many but that’s irrelevant and frankly, just sassy talk.
Recently, I have decided to face one of my problems: I eat too much yogurt. Really. Too much. Morning, lunch and as a snack at night.
So to try to lower my yogurt intake, I had decided to switch up my breakfast routine: instead of a big bowl of fruits with yogurt, I would eat oatmeal (which is pretty much what I ate for 6 months as my lunch in Europe).
One thing I didn’t want in it was processed sugar.
So I thought, mmm…what is naturally sweet? Dates and apples!
Let’s do this!
* This makes two breakfasts for me ( I usually eat a small bowl of fruits with it as well) but this might be a good portion for a single breakfast for you: (keep in mind that I weight about 105 pounds and i’m barely 5’1 ;))
Enjoy my lovelies!
Course: Breakfast Yield: 2 servings Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1/2 Cup of organic quick oats (steel cuts are healthier, but you'll need to prep the mix the night before and add more liquid)
- 3/4 Cup of organic, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 small/med organic gala apple
- 3 chopped organic Medjool dates
- 1 Teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 Cup of unsweetened shredded coconut (optional).
- 2 chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 Tablespoon of maple syrup or honey, to sweetened if need be (optional)
- Start by putting 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of coconut milk and the chopped medjool dates in a bowl and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the oat mixture in a small pot and heat on medium heat. Immediately add the rest of the coconut milk, shredded apple and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly, coverand cook until oat are soft, stirring frequently, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you want, take a pan and sauté some shredded coconut on hight heat, mixing it constantly so it does not burn. The second it starts getting gold-ish, remove pan from heat mix it some more then place on a plate to stop the cooking.
- Sprinkle on your oatmeal! You can also sprinkle some chopped pecans to give a bit of a crunchy texture and maple syrup for additional sweetness!