Well hello there cake! It’s been a while!
I know. I’ve neglected you and I’ve traded you for cookies and pancakes, but you still have a place in my heart.
Jokes aside, I haven’t baked a cake in SO long!
What’s wrong with me?
I had made an orange and olive oil cake a few years ago and it was a major hit for both of us. (The answer is yes to your “You guys ate it by yourself ?” question)
So when we got our weekly box from Eating Well Ottawa and saw that we had oranges and grapefruits, I immediately thought of making a similar cake.
Plus, let’s be honest, any excuse is a good excuse to make cake.
Last week was Karl’s birthday (and also one of my very good friend’s birthday) so I decided to make her a good cake. I also have to mention that she is gluten intolerant so I had to alter my cake recipe to remove any sot of gluten in it :).
Gluten-Free Orange and Grapefruit cake. Done!
So I found this GF cake recipe and altered it to use healthier ingredients. Worked out great!
Do you have a GF intolerant friend? If so, sounds to me like you’ve got a great excuse to make this cake!
Enjoy my lovelies!
AlexRecipe inspired by: http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/gluten-free-grapefruit-and-orange-olive-oil-cake
Course: Dessert Yield: 15 servings Prep Time: 30 mins Cook Time: 50 mins
- coconut oil for greasing
- 1/3 Cup of honey
- 1/4 Cup of maple sugar
- 1/8 Cup of water
- 4 Teaspoon of orange zest
- 1/3 Cup of fresh orange juice with pulp
- 2 Teaspoon of grapefruit zest
- 1/4 Cup of grapefruit juice with pulp
- 2/3 Cup of full fat greek yogurt
- 1/3 Cup of olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 Cup of brown rice flour
- 2/3 Cup of almond flour
- 1/4 Cup of potato starch
- 2 Tablespoon of tapioca starch
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon of himalayan salt
- 1/4 Cup of sliced almonds or hazelnuts
- Start by heating your oven up to 350F.
- I used 3 small 4" pans because I was sending out 3 small testers to 3 different people but you can use a 8" spring pan as well :).
- With coconut oil, grease the pan and put parchment paper at the bottom.
- In a small saucepan, heat up honey and water until honey has dissolved in the water. Then add half of the two zests and 2 tbsp of grapefruit juice and 2tbsp of orange juice (with pulps!). Mix well, turn off heat and set aside.
- In a big bowl, mix maple sugar, yogurt, rest of zests, juices, olive oil and eggs until well combined.
- In another bowl, mix flours, starches, baking powder, spices and salt. Once well combined, make a well in the middle and slowly whisk the yogurt mixture in (keeping the honey mix for later!) until you have a uniform batter.
- Pour batter in your spring pan and sprinkle with shaved/sliced nuts.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean or with crumbs on it, about 40-50 minutes.
- Using a toothpick, pokes a bunch of holes on your cake and slowly drizzle your honey syrup on the cake.