I just made this recipe an hour ago and all I can say is : YUM!!!! This is to die for (if you like Mexican style food, of course!).
Ok so Karl and I went to Old Quebec City, Canada (A beautiful little area, super romantic) and we had breakfast in a restaurant called Cosmos. They make amazing eggs benedict with a twist. I obviously went for the Huevos Rancheros Style one :). So here I am, recreating this wonderful breakfast! Not to brag but the one I just made was even better than the one I had at the restaurant! (tapping myself on the shoulder ;)).
But seriously, if you like eggs benedict, you have to try this recipe!! I think I might be making this for Karl (Breakfast in Bed) for Valentine’s day. Is your significant other into Mexican style dishes? if so, give this a try!
I also had to make bacon with this because really, what’s a nice breakfast without bacon! REALLY? I also had to but a bit of fresh fruits. You know, to ease my guilt… eheh..
I made this as a brunch and it will keep us full until supper so it’s not actually that bad….right???
Anyways, have some eggs benedict, enjoy good food and enjoy each other!!! It’s Sunday! Why not??
Course: Breakfast Yield: 2 servings Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 20 mins
- 2 to 4 large eggs (2 if you eat 1 egg each or 4 if you eat 2 eggs each)
- 1/3 Cup of grated old cheddar cheese (I like orange cheese because of the color)
- 2 english muffins
- 1/2 Cup of black beans (cooked)
- 1/2 Cup of salsa
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh cilantro to garnish
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 Cup of butter
- 1 Tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon of chipotle powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 to 6 slices of thick bacon
- 2 Tablespoon of white vinegar
- Start by making your Hollandaise:
- Tyler Florence's Hollandaise Sauce Recipe :Vigorously whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl and until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume. Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume. Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne,chipotle (I added the Chipotle) and salt. Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use for the eggs benedict. If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.
- Grate your cheddar and place in a bowl close to your serving plates. Put your salsa as well as your beans in bowls close to your serving plates.
- Cook your bacon to your liking and reserve on a plate, close to your serving plates.
- Cut your english muffins in half an put them in your toaster, without actually toasting them just yet.
- In a shallow sauce pan or a wide pot, fill with about 3 1/2 inches high of water and bring to a boil. Add in your vinegar and mix well. Bring your heat down to medium high, so the water is still simmering but not boiling intensely. In a deep ladle, crack open one egg and carefully dip you ladle in the boiling water. Carefully let the water enter the ladle and continue bringing the ladle deeper in the water until the egg white has turned white all around. Carefully tip the ladle and let the egg fall in the water. Repeat for the rest of the eggs. Cook the eggs for about maximum 1 1/2 to 2 minutes each if you like your yolk runny and about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes if you like your yolk fully cooked. Test out the first egg and gauge from the time it took for that one and how cooked it is. Every stovetop is different.
- The second your eggs are in the water, start toasting your english muffins
- Once the egg is ready, with a pieced ladle, grab your eggs one by one, make sure to let the water drip before plating.
- To plate, take one half of muffin and put it on your plate. put some grated cheese on top and put your egg on it right away. The heat form the egg will melt your cheese. After the egg, put two tablespoons or so of salsa. Sprinkle some black beans on top of the salsa and pour some hollandaise sauce over it. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Place the bacon strips on the side and serve!
- Enjoy :)!