If you only want to eat 2 pieces, make 2 pieces because I swear to you, whatever amount of will power you have, it will go right out the door the second you bite into one of these appetizers.
Italian salty Bacon
Chewy, Crunchy Fresh, Salty, is there anything better than that?
I’m drooling on my keyboard – right – now –
This appetizer was actually our appetizer for Valentine’s Day dinner and I ate way too many of them so that’s why I am telling you not to make 5 million of them if you really can’t eat more than 2. Unless you have Karl as boyfriend who can eat 10 of them and lose weight at the same time (really, REALLY not fair!).
SO I don’t know what I was thinking but I made these as an appetizer (With the amount we ate, I could have easily been our supper), Fresh Ravioli stuffed with cheeses and spinach with a creamy white wine and mushroom sauce and Tiramisu for dessert (And yes, I am now 10 pounds heavier and still digesting!).
Note to self, next year I am making a light Salad!
To make your own Bruschetta mix: http://iadorefood.com/recipes/bruschettas/
Course: Appetizers Yield: 4 servings Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 10 mins
- 4 Slices of prosciutto
- 8 Slices of fresh ciabatta (or french baguette)
- 1 Cup of bruschetta mix (see my bruschetta recipe link higher up)
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 8 medium sized (about 1 inch diameter) bocconcini balls
- Start by heating your oven at 425F and put one of your racks as high as you can without touching the element.
- On a cookie sheet, place your prosciutto slices side by side. When the oven is ready, pop them in for about 3 minutes. Each oven bakes differently so make sure to check on them. When they look crispy, take them out.
- Now you have the choice to put your appetizers together and put them back in the oven to melt the cheese or you can just eat them without melting the cheese.
- If you want to melt the cheese, place your pieces of bread side by side on a cookie sheet. If you don't want to melt the cheese, do the same but bake your bread for about 3 minutes to make it a bit crispy and then place your pieces of bread on a serving platter and follow the rest of the instructions (except the part where you put it back in the oven). Scoop about 1 to 2 tablespoons of bruschetta mix on each piece.
- Add a basil leave on top of each piece. Cut your prosciutto slices in half and place a piece on each of the pieces of bread. Slice your bocconcini balls in 3 pieces and place 3 pieces of cheese on each pieces of bread.
- Put your oven on broil and pop your appetizers back in the oven for about 1 to 2 minutes. When your cheese is melted, take them out immediately.
- Place them on a serving plate and serve while hot!